Sunday, February 8, 2009

Consolidation

I digitized several hours of content this week, and took that time to thumb through the pile of industry trades that had piled up on my desk the last few months.

Despite consolidation within ownership of the trades, thin margin have forced one group of magazines to recycle content across many of their titles. I saw the same article verbatim in four different magazines, pictures and all.

The trades are more and more a mirror of the industry they cover.

One of the trades I had found interesting, Studio, if only because it focused on "How To" articles on creating looks using specific software tools has now gone all-digital, with no printed version. I am curious if their business model will be more successful by bypassing the printer and USPS.

If they are, my employer has some lessons to learn from Studio.

Peter

No comments: